Monday, July 27, 2009

Mexican Paper Mache dolls



I went to Olvera Street in downtown Los Angeles today with my family. Jayn and I were both interested in these beautiful handpainted paper mache dolls. Very vivid and colorful. There were also some ceramic traditional deity figures, similar to ancient ones that I have seen in southwestern historical museums. On the other hand it was disconcerting to see that some of the coolest looking hand painted mexican style garments were "Made in Nepal". Oh well.

2 comments:

Robin's Egg Bleu said...

These remind me of a papier mache doll I made as a little girl, probably in 5th grade. The same shape, even the way the faces are painted. Really brought back memories!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! I'll have to get back up to LA to their 'old town' again and see these for myself!

Mirian Malzyner said...

beautiful dolls, great blog!
I make paper mache dolls too.